Green Ward Competition
What Is the Green Ward Competition?
The Green Ward Competition an award-winning, tried & tested leadership and engagement programme to transform healthcare by;
- cutting carbon
- improving patient care & staff experience
- saving money
CSH facilitators (all of whom are both healthcare professionals and sustainability consultants) work directly with participating teams to identify, develop, run and measure outcomes of sustainable quality improvement projects.
The Green Ward Competition can be run for individual healthcare organisations (e.g., NHS Trust) or at a local, regional, national, or international level.
"A hospital is people, much more than it is buildings, machines or techniques - which are only valuable in relation to the women and men who use them." Any Ward, Any Hospital by Roger Grainger (drama therapist, hospital chaplain, author)
What is distinctive about the Green Ward Competition?
- Our people make us stand out. Our team combine the rare mix of those who are healthcare professionals and are sustainability consultants. We embody Sustainable Healthcare!
- Our Sustainable Quality Improvement (SusQI) methodology, especially designed with an environmental element, is a powerful mechanism of change.
- The programme is bespoke and is tailored to the needs in your Trust.
How it Works
- Phase 1: CSH offer guidance and materials to participating organisation for publicity and recruitment of six teams. Recruitment starts 2-4 months prior to the competition running.
- Phase 2: CSH facilitate up to six 90-minute bespoke, interactive, online workshops (one per team) where teams receive specialist input from clinicians (who are also Sustainable Healthcare Consultants). During workshops the facilitators use a range of methods to help teams develop their understanding of “What is sustainable healthcare?, and to generate ideas for a sustainability project in their ward, service or department.
- Phase 3: Teams run projects over 10 weeks with mentoring from CSH, during which teams make a change and measure the impact by selecting and tracking relevant outcome measures, calculating the carbon footprint, financial savings and evidencing benefits to their wider team and patients.
- Phase 4: At a Trust-wide online showcase and award ceremony each team has the opportunity to present and celebrate their project idea, outcomes and learning. A cash prize (minimum £500) is awarded to the team whose project has made the greatest impact (or has potential to do so) in increasing the sustainability in the Trust. Learning of all teams is celebrated and each will receive a certificate for their valued participation.
- The full competition from phase 1-4 is run over a 10–12-month period. CSH can support Trusts to build on the success of the competition, spreading team project ideas and outcomes locally and nationally, drawing on our strong clinical and sustainability networks, during and after Phase 4.
Good relationships with our partners are what make Green Ward work and what makes it fun! Read our partners testimonials to find out how much they appreciate our work and what they have to say about Green Ward and CSH.
- Participants in the Green Ward Competition have been winners in the NHS Sustainability Day Awards for 2 years running in 2018 & 2019.
- One participating team was a finalist in the 2019 prestigious HSJ Value Awards in the category of Emergency, Urgent and Trauma Care Efficiency Initiative of the Year.
What are the benefits of the Green Ward Competition?
- Join leading Trusts in working to reduce your environmental impact & in building resilient communities fit for current and future challenges.
- The competition supports Trusts to fulfil NHS Green Plan goals in many of the 9 key areas, including Workforce & Leadership, and Sustainable Models of Care.
- Training and mentoring in SusQI and change management supports integration of sustainability as a domain of quality improvement. The competition demonstrates how sustainability (environmental, social and financial) can be threaded through existing QI methodology, strengthening QI at the Trust, powerfully engaging teams and leading to greater value gained from projects.
- Running the competition creates strong interdisciplinary relationships between clinical and non-clinical departments, vital for sustainable healthcare systems to develop and thrive.
- Showcased projects gain support and acknowledgement from senior leadership teams to support spreading ideas and actions further.
- The competition boosts staff education, confidence, leadership skills and morale. Staff often report feeling both valued and empowered to make further changes in their team and service.
- For some staff, recognition in the competition has led to them receiving further development opportunities (e.g. leadership opportunities) in their role, increasing job satisfaction
- Financial savings
- Winning team can invest their cash prize in sustainable healthcare projects
- Projects that lead to increased environmental sustainability and social sustainability (staff & patient wellbeing) often lead to cash-releasing and financial savings.
- Strong invest-to-save project with an average of £6 saved for every £1 spent
Impact Reports & Case Studies
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Impact Reports from 2022 competitions currently underway will be shared soon!
- Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust + Bonus Year 2 'Hotspot' - poster presentations and poster from the Green Anaesthetic Team
- Barts Health NHS Trust
- Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Ashford & St Peter's NHS Foundation Trust
Previous competitions were run at a number of organisations including; The Whittington Hospital, University College London Hospital, Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust and Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. The impact reports and case studies from these earlier competitions have been archived.
For more information, and for current prices, please email our Green Ward Programme Manager, Rachel McLean: firstname.lastname@example.org