Green Ward Competition
The Green Ward Competition is a clinical engagement programme for NHS Trusts wishing to improve their environmental sustainability and reduce their carbon footprint. CSH staff work directly with ward and unit teams to develop, run and measure their sustainability projects to deliver savings both for their immediate service and for the Trust. Additional support can be made available to roll-out one of the projects across suitable wards/units.
"The Trust could save thousands of pounds if the entire hospital adopted this approach."
Ward team, Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
How it Works
- Clinical teams identify and take forward a sustainability project in their ward or department over a couple of months
- A prize is awarded to the team whose project has had the greatest impact on improving sustainability or which shows the best potential for future impact
- Staff are supported to develop the winning or most generalisable project into a case study which is can then be rolled out across the Trust in, say, six, suitable wards or units.
- The launch or prize giving can be linked to NHS Sustainability Day
- Guidance on running the competition, including recruitment of clinical teams, appointment of judges and criteria for judging entries
- Branded e-materials, such as posters, leaflets and template letters
- Up to 8 one-hour, tailored Sustainable Action Planning workshops for each team spread over 2 days (maximum of 4 a day)
- In person support on the Trust site either to support ward recruitment OR to help teams with project implementation and trouble shooting
- Information and support by phone and email, including contacts, links to relevant resources and assistance with demonstrating social, environmental and financial impacts
- A senior CSH staff member to join the judging panel
- Roll-out support to develop the winning or most generalisable project into a case study which is then rolled out across the Trust. Feedback is used to edit the project design and to develop it into a case study for other Trusts.
“This competition was a great way to get the clinical side involved in sustainable healthcare. The Teams showed great passion for making efficiencies, improving patient healthcare and coming up with exciting projects.”
Rajnika Patel, Sustainable Development Manager, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The Green Ward Competition is run at a cost of £4,850 for the Competition and £2,450 to support the roll-out of either the winning project or the project with the greatest potential application across a range of wards/units. Including £500 of prize money to be reinvested in sustainability, the total cost per Trust is £7,800. Cost savings from Competitions run in 2016/17 show annual savings of over £90,000 per Trust.
There is an electronic leaflet available here green_ward_competition_nhs_trust_leaflet.pdf.
Here are some example reports from Trusts which show the projects and savings:
For more information email email@example.com