Sustainable Occupational Therapy Practice: Resource Map
If you would like to learn about sustainable healthcare and sustainable Occupational Therapy practice, these are the key learning materials to get you started. If you think there are any resources that could be developed or added please get in touch Vivien De Greef or Ben Whittaker.
- The Climate Emergency
- What Is Sustainable Healthcare
- Sustainability in Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Sustainability National and International Association papers
- Sustainable Occupational Therapy Journal Articles
- Key OT Susnet Posts
- Free courses on Future Learn
- TED talks
If you would like to find out more about the planetary health emergency and what you can do to take action check out our climate emergency page. This is filled with tips and ideas of actions you can take, as well as links to further reading.
Sustainable Healthcare can be defined as ‘care delivered in a way that does not adversely affect the health of the population and does not use resources in a way that may compromise the ability of those in the future to provide high quality care to their population or increase the burden of illness’ (Centre of Sustainable Healthcare 2017). Find out more about Sustainable healthcare and how we can achieve it by watching this presentation by Rachel Stancliffe (Director of the Centre for Sustainable Healthcare).
- What is sustainable health?
- Learning objectives for sustainable healthcare
- Managing the health effects of climate change
OT Susnet is a network for occupational therapy practitioners, students, and educators who are interested in sustainable practice. By registering to the Occupational Therapy Susnet network (it’s free!) you can gain access to valuable resources, write posts and start a conversation about sustainable occupational therapy practice.
Click here to register and stay up to date with the latest sustainable occupational therapy news.
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists - Sustainability Matters: Guiding Principles for Sustainability in Occupational Therapy Practice, Education and Scholarship
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists – Ethics, Sustainability and Global Matters
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists - Environmental Sustainability, Sustainable Practice within Occupational Therapy
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
- Swedish Association of Occupational Therapists – Sustainable Development
- Occupational Therapy and Environmental Sustainability
- A call for sustainable practice in occupational therapy
- Sustainable occupational responses to climate change through lifestyle choices
- How to contribute occupationally to ecological sustainability: A literature review
- Sustainable Global Wellbeing: A Proposed Expansion of the Occupational Therapy Paradigm
- Future proofing occupational therapy in mental health through sustainable commissioning
- Quality Improvement: creatively designing sustainable services
- Green Lifestyle Redesign
- 10:10 Occupational Therapy Checklist
- Sustainability Series: Occupational Therapy: Improving Lives, Saving Money, Reducing Carbon
- 5 ways to integrate sustainability into your 2018 Occupational Therapy practice
- Want to be an eco warrior in your hospital or team?
- Climate Change: Solutions - Explore the potential solutions to climate change and how they relate to the UN's sustainable development goals.
- Unleash Your Potential: Sustainable Futures - Learn about the sustainability challenges of the modern world, and make a positive contribution to society.
- The Impact of Climate Change on Public Health - Explore the impact of climate change on public health, and discover ways to influence behaviours and policies at all level
- Sustainability and Green Logistics: An Introduction - Explore the principles of sustainability and understand how to create more sustainable logistics and procurement practices.
- Achieving Sustainable Development - Explore the challenges of sustainable development. See the impact of UN Sustainable Development Goals on real people.
- Transport Systems: Global Issues and Future Innovations - Discover how the transport sector can develop infrastructures that meet the needs of a 21st century population
- Healthy Futures: How Can We Create the Most Effective Healthcare System? - Find out how to solve some of the world’s biggest healthcare problems and make a positive difference.
- Tipping Points: Climate Change and Society - Discover how rapid changes to natural systems may make Earth look very different in the future.
- Climate Change: The Science - Learn about the science of climate change, the risks it poses and how human activity is changing our world.
- This country isn't just carbon neutral: it's carbon negative - Tshering Tobgay
- A healthy economy should be designed to thrive, not grow - Kate Raworth
- Why climate change is a threat to human rights - Mary Robinson
- How climate change affects your mental health - Britt Wray
- How we can make the world a better place by 2030 - Michael Green
- The disarming case to act right now on climate change - Greta Thunberg